Flexible benefits of your choice
Learning and development opportunities
25 days annual leave
Customized wellbeing programs
Extended health and travel insurances
Top trending technologies
Who we are:
Betfair Romania Development is the development powerhouse behind the Paddy Power Betfair Group. We are in Cluj-Napoca since 2009, now employing over 900 highly skilled professionals who cover a wide range of tech and non-tech areas such as development, data, information security, infrastructure, product and project management, digital marketing or sports operations.
We work on delivering unrivalled products across the industry, therefore being a Center of Excellence not only amongst PPB's European offices, but also for supporting our colleagues at Sportsbet (AUS) and FanDuel (US) in creating a safe and excitement experience to our customers around the world.
At Betfair Romania Development, we know that an inclusive workplace makes for more engaged employees. As an industry leader, we continuously strive to maintain and grow a diverse and inclusive environment whilst also ensuring that we set the standards in ethical conduct and corporate responsibility.
Think Betfair. Experience Different.
It is no question that we, as a business, thrive on leveraging the power of people. We have a passion for innovation and a pace of change that creates a whirlwind of opportunities. At Betfair Romania Development, we believe in experiencing different. If you're tired of business as usual and want to create something new, you'll love it here. Quick-thinking, adaptable and disruptive, we believe the future is what you make it. Welcome to software development with a difference.
This our challenge:
• Delivering product at scale for over 5 million customers, 99,9% of transactions in less than a second
• Our systems process more than 7 million transactions every day (more than all the European stock exchanges combined)
• Deliver high transitional products, serving more than 2.5Bn calls a day
• Diverse and up to date technical landscape to explore, leverage and innovate
• The products you'll develop will comply with ambitious uptime targets: less than 50 minutes downtime expected per year
• Continuous Integration, Deployment and Testing
What you are going to do:
We are looking for a Database Engineer with proven data integration skills to develop and support Integration, ETL (ELT), Data Warehouse and Reporting solutions, as well as data driven and ML based services such as personalization or customer profiles offered as APIs and streams to other business units. Working within an agile environment you will team up with Data Warehouse, ML, data services and QA engineers and system integrators to work on projects prioritized by various areas of the business;
The successful candidate will have good technical and problem solving skills, with a positive and results driven attitude, a strong communicator who is capable of interacting with both technical and non-technical people.
Key Responsibilities / Duties:
• Work as an effective member of a scrum team - understanding and contributing to the agile delivery process, and taking ownership for your team's software quality from concept to production
• To promote the production of reusable code and modules where appropriate with a view to maximising effort and reducing development costs applying principles of Agile delivery.
• To ensure risks and issues are identified in a timely manner and effectively communicated with proposed resolution and mitigation strategies to the Data Delivery Manager.
• Work as an effective member of a scrum team - understanding and contributing to the agile delivery process,and taking ownership for your team's software quality from concept to production
• Write and maintain functional and technical specifications
• Monitor, optimize and trouble shoot database, microservice, stream and ML service performance
• Analyse code for problem resolution
• Thorough, demonstrable unit testing
Experience & Qualifications:
• Proven development skills in at least one of the following:
o Kafka or another message based streaming platform
o Machine learning and analytics in either python or R
o Unix Scripting
o Open source NoSQL technologies (e.g. MongoDB, CouchDB, ElasticSearch).
o AWS (preferable) or experience of data engineering on another leading cloud vendor
such as GCP or Azure
• Good SQL knowledge and experience of relational databases
• Dimensional data modelling
• Good knowledge of object oriented or functional programming in either Python or Java
• Experience of database performance analysis and design
• Unit testing knowledge
• Demonstrable experience with high-volume data loads (terra bytes and above)
• Knowledge of ETL from highly transactional (1000s records/second) OLTP systems
• Exposure to Continuous Delivery / Continuous Integration tools (e.g. Go, Jenkins)
• A proven ability to influence technical decisions in a fast moving commercial environment
• Demonstrates exceptional communication, interpersonal skills and consistent high energy levels
• Experience of large data warehouse (10 TB+) with multiple sources and outputs
• Knowledge of the online gaming/gambling industry
• Educated to degree level in a science or technology related field
Key Skills and Attributes:
• Proactive work ethic with the ability to deliver results and meet challenging deadlines
• Passion & flexibility to work the hours required to see projects to completion in a timely, accurate & efficient manner.
• Attention to detail with a high degree of pride in work produced.
• Proven ability & desire to innovate.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Enthusiasm for the software development process.
• Good English language skills.
What you can expect:
• 25 days of annual leave;
• Sharesave scheme;
• „Flexible Benefits” of your choice;
• Private health insurance (includes dental insurance and health assessments);
• Free parking;
• Thousands of courses online through ‘Udemy'
• Working from home options
Ways of working:
Flexible working is our way of working! We're a diverse workforce and therefore a 'one size fits all' approach isn't necessarily best. Whatever your personal needs may be, let's have a chat and see how we can accommodate them;
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only the suitable candidates will be contacted for an interview.
By submitting your application online, you agree that: your details will be used to progress your application for employment. If your application is successful, your details will be used to administer your personnel record.If your application is unsuccessful, we will retain your details for a period no longer than two years, in order to consider you for prospective Paddy Power Betfair role.